Friday 8 December 2017

DIY Christmas | Feather Tree Cones

As a Christmas DIY that has been in my drafts for years, I thought I'd actually make these pretty feather trees for 2017 [this is a bit of a New Years resolution for me - completing the ideas I've had in my drafts - so expect many a 2012-2016 themed/popular DIY over the next few months!].



I've got three slightly different versions to share - they are really easy, a great craft for in front of the TV and kids can get involved too.

| WHAT YOU NEED |
Paper Mache Cones | Feathers | Hot Glue Gun | Glitter | Mod Podge | Craft Knife


| HOW YOU MAKE THEM |

I wanted to display my feather trees together, so opted for a little variation in the height of my trees, taking around 5cm off the bottom of one cone and 10cm from a second:
Although the intention is to cover the cones in feathers, there may be some gaps [particular towards the base of the cones] and rather than have the brown paper show through, I covered the lower third of the cones in a thin layer of mod podge and glitter [because I cannot help myself], using contrasting colours to the feathers:
To build your feather trees, begin from the base upwards, a line at a time to layer and space the feathers evenly:
[I used hot glue for speed and strength, but any strong glue or fixing, such as tape, will also work]

With each new line, I added the feathers at around 2/3 of the length of the previous layer and in the gap of the feathers to create the most coverage:
Continue layering until you reach the top of the cone. To create a neat finish, I trimmed the ends of the feathers and created a point:
If you feel the top is still a little messy, you can add a decoration, such as a pom pom or star to cover.

Repeat with your other cones, in which you can vary the spacing of the feathers or add further decoration: sequins, beading, garlands or glitter....these can be adapted easily to suit your decor and colour scheme.

Using the same technique, I created three variations with the type of feather used and the positioning.
I bought some white feathers [currently on offer here], which were very fluffy, smaller in size and dense in their coverage - this created a beautiful, wispy feather tree cone:
The more structured and flat grey feather was positioned so that the shape went in towards the cone and created a more streamline and controlled feather tree:
..and finally, using similar shaped feathers, I positioned them facing away from the cone, which created a more layered and traditional shape to the feather tree:
These different colours, styles and textures look great as a group, or can be decorative accents to areas of your home on their own.
This craft is one that definitely has you panicked half way through that you have gone completely off track - but keep with it - the more feathers you add, the more full your trees will become and the shape can be changed by adding your feathers at different angles.
Sorry about these photos - the sky was so, so grey - which although my aesthetic, does not help for blog photos!
Share:

19 comments

  1. Find out the best quality of Christmas trees manufacturers and supplier at the Chinese B2B platform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear, I am so pleased to you. You made our Christmas more beautiful. Similarly, you can solve your pests error through Pest Extermination Company in New York and clean to your home, office from pests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Really Appreciate Your Efforts To Provide This Information. Feather Tree Cones | A Very Diy Christmas. visit my site: China Glass mosaic tile Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever heard of a tree surgeon? They are the trained people found high up on trees, pruning them back to life. Here are some of the techniques they practice to ensure that trees are kept healthy and looking beautiful. http://treethyme.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this post, I applaud the author's efforts and am happy for the opportunity to Enrichment Stem Program Kids about this interesting Program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aquaculture farms, oyster farms, and restaurants have been built on the East Coast, the Gulf of Mexico, and in the Pacific Northwest. The life-giving water that fuels these endeavors is a blend of both fresh and salt water that is enriched with nutrients and hire someone to take my class filtered through coral reefs. In a laboratory, scientists at UCLA discovered a new way to grow sustainable aquaculture farms that use less energy, less water, and less land than traditional methods. By treating the ocean water with a solution of sugar, a protein-based substance called seagrass, and a mix of minerals and metals, they created an ecosystem that can grow edible seaweed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas is a religious festival of Christians. Christmas is celebrated on 25th of December every year. Now its time to avail roller shutter repairs for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a pretty useful piece of information! I'm only getting started with this, but I'm getting a lot more comfortable with it! it system design services

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing piece of information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a usefull information. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post here with all of the valuable information you have. keep writing article

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was super interesting article to read. Thanks for sharing it here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I appreciate the time and effort to write this kind of article. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beneficial tips are provided here. Thank you so much. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m excited to uncover this page. Thank you for this fantastic read!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was actually quite a helpful bit of knowledge! Even though I'm just starting started, I'm feeling much more at ease with it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this Christmas craft idea! The step-by-step guide and the variations with different feathers are inspiring. Can't wait to try making these beautiful feather tree cones! TREE SURGEON GREAT YARMOUTH

    ReplyDelete
  18. This blog post is very helpful. I sincerely appreciate your dedication to the knowledge. best portable coffee maker

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig